Riviera del Garda Classico

Riviera del Garda Classico

45°50'25.0" N


10°49'22.1" E




about this subregion

Nestled along the western shores of Lake Garda, the Riviera del Garda Classico DOC is a testament to Italy's enduring romance with viticulture. The region is painted with a palette of azure waters, lush Mediterranean vegetation, and undulating vineyards, producing wines that captivate both the palate and the imagination.

The unique microclimate of the area is significantly influenced by the vast Lake Garda. Its presence moderates the temperatures, ensuring that the vineyards are bathed in a gentle warmth during the day, while the cool breezes at night ensure a slow, optimal ripening of the grapes. This results in wines that are harmoniously balanced, brimming with freshness and aromatic complexity.

But what truly sets the Riviera del Garda Classico DOC apart is its deep-rooted affinity for the Groppello grape. This red variety thrives in the region's well-draining soils, offering wines that mirror the vibrant landscape with their bright red fruit character, subtle earthy undertones, and graceful aging potential.

While Groppello stands as the region's red grape ambassador, the white wines of the Riviera del Garda Classico DOC are equally mesmerizing. Riesling and Welschriesling vines stretch their roots deep into the region's mineral-rich soils. The former, Riesling, brings forth wines with crisp acidity, pronounced minerality, and aromas of green apple, lime, and blossoms. Welschriesling, on the other hand, produces wines that are fresh and floral, with hints of citrus and stone fruit, making them perfect accompaniments to the local cuisine.

The Riviera del Garda Classico DOC is more than just a wine region; it's a vivid tapestry of nature's bounty and human ingenuity, where the timeless dance of vines and environment produces wines that are as breathtaking as the landscapes from which they are born.


vinerra illustration

Vineyard Hectares



2,000 - 2,500


Discover Terroir

The Riviera del Garda Classico DOC is located in the Lombardy wine region, and encompasses the wines produced on the province of Brescia, in the hilly area of Lake Garda between the banks of Salò and Desenzano to the east and the course of the river Chiese to the west.

It is an area whose climate is mitigated by its proximity to Lake Garda, which brings Mediterranean influences to the region. Therefore, winters are mild, while summers tend to have cool temperatures due to the breezes coming from the lake.

This mountainous region has soils of morainic origin, and the characteristic geography is a mixture of gentle hills and plains.


Most Planted Red Grape Varieties: Groppello

Most Planted White Grape Varieties: Riesling, Welschriesling

Nestled along the picturesque shores of Lake Garda in northern Italy, the Riviera del Garda Classico DOC boasts a diverse range of wines that capture the essence of this enchanting region. Among its most common offerings are the captivating white and red wines, each expressing unique characteristics reflective of the local terroir.

The white wines, a true delight to the senses, are anchored by a minimum of 50% Riesling and/or Welschriesling (Riesling Italico). These grape varieties impart a delightful aromatic profile and a lively acidity to the wines. Complemented by a touch of other authorized white grapes, totaling a maximum of 5% aromatic varieties, the wines display a captivating harmony of flavors. Crisp citrus notes intermingle with delicate floral nuances, offering a refreshing and invigorating experience with every sip.

On the other hand, the red wines of Riviera del Garda Classico DOC are a testament to the region's rich winemaking heritage. Comprising a minimum of 30% Groppello, a local gem, the red blend possesses a distinctive character and depth. Marzemino, Barbera, and Sangiovese contribute to the remaining 70%, each adding their unique attributes. The wines are further enriched by a maximum of 25% other authorized grape varieties, including a hint of Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Carmenère, and/or Merlot, capped at 10%.

The red wines exude a charming array of aromas, ranging from ripe red fruits to subtle earthy undertones. The interplay of these grape varieties results in a well-structured wine with a balanced palate and a graceful finish.

Whether indulging in the refreshing white wines or savoring the complexity of the reds, the Riviera del Garda Classico DOC promises an unforgettable sensory journey through its diverse and expressive wines. Each bottle is a tribute to the dedication of local winemakers, whose artistry brings forth the true essence of this captivating wine region.